Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Your Pal Cal


Here's to Cal Albro, 1947-2011. One of the first friends I met in Brooklyn almost 15 years ago and a good soul all around. Cal had a laugh that could only be described as "Pall Mall Unfiltered" and was great at giving advice on dealing with things he wasn't too informed on. He had one of the biggest hearts and never hesitated to help you out. He had a jailhouse tattoo of Snoopy. He played pool with the best of them and liked to dance. He wouldn't eat a vegetable if he could help it. He was my friend.

I just heard the news today that Cal had passed away from pancreatic cancer on March 5th and can't help but feel the world is a little smaller now. Though I had been out of touch with Cal for a while, he would pop into my head every now and then and make me smile. It was the same in real life, one of those guys you were always happy to see. I'll miss my pal, Cal.

--B

12 comments:

tiffany oelfke said...

so sweet b.
thank you for this!
xo

M Quinlan said...

"...Friends thou hast, and their adoption tried...GRAPPLE them to thy soul with HOOPS of steel..."

Just a...thought.

Mark Q

Cara said...

Well said Brendan.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about him not eating vegetables. I remember he sided with Glenn on this and I was really bent on eating healthy. In the end, we all ate greasy burgers and down them with Brooklyn Lagers all night long!

He was also one of the first people I met when I returned to Brooklyn in 2003.

Hsin-Yi said...

Apt title for the blog. He will be remembered fondly by many.

Olivia said...

Nicely said. He Often gave so much ( and didn't have much) to make the people around him so happy.

Mr.Mr. said...

Good words, Brendan. Sorry to hear about Cal. I do remember meeting him. Rest well, Cal.

S.P. said...

I never knew someone so willing to share (nay, adamant about sharing) what little he had with everyone he knew.

He will be missed.

GOGOPEDRO said...

fine words and a fine image make for a fine memory of a good man. I remember meeting him myself. Be at Peace, Cal.

Caroline said...

well said, brendan. thanks. i would think of cal once in a while while going on about my german life here, and would feel so glad to have met him...

koki said...

thank you Brendan.
Cal threw my mom a going away party at The Abbey. She still talks about it. Such a sweet soul he had!

keith f said...

nicely said, thanks.